- Placenta Encapsulation -
Placentas are amazing organs. They foster life in the womb from the time they are formed, and their role and influence does not cease just at birth. Instead, they are perfectly created to nourish the mother and help her recover more quickly from the birth and pregnancy itself.
I am a Certified Placenta Encapsulation Specialist (CPES) and use the Traditional Chinese Medicine method (TCM). Powdered placenta has been used in Traditional Chinese Medicine for centuries. Acupuncturists and other practitioners of TCM even use placentas to help balance a woman's hormones during menopause.
Placentophagy, or consumption of the placenta, has been reported for decades to help stop the postpartum "baby blues" and diminish postpartum fatigue. The placenta contains your own natural hormones and is "perfectly made for you, by you". So imagine the benefits a woman would have by having access to her own natural hormones, in levels that are already perfectly suited to her system.
Placenta encapsulation offers a number of advantages over other modes of ingestion. The main one is that the dehydration process preserves the placenta, allowing the mother to benefit from it for weeks instead of just the first few days postpartum. The capsules can also be frozen, extending their use from weeks and months, to years. Taking these placenta capsules during the postpartum period can do many amazing things for Postpartum Depression, restore iron levels, increasing energy, increase lactation, etc. Since the capsules also help with fatigue and milk production, they can be taken any time the mother feels worn down or just needs a little boost to increase her milk supply. Beyond the postpartum period the capsules are also beneficial for any stressful transition. Having to leave the baby to go back to work, a job loss in the family, or a move can all cause stress that can be helped with placenta capsules.
Along with just taking these capsules, there are many other different ingestion options as well. Other popular options include chocolate placenta truffles, tinctures, and even the use of a healing salve -- all of which assist a mother's body during the postpartum transition.
Video Credit: Taryn Goodwin at Spirited Doula - August 17, 2011
Some of the ingredients known to give the placenta it's healing properties:
- Gonadotrophin: the precursor to estrogen, progesterone and testosterone
- Prolactin: promotes lactation
- Oxytocin: for pain and bonding; produced during breastfeeding to facilitate bonding of mother and infant. In pharmaceutical form this is a very addictive drug because it promotes a feeling of connectedness with others
- Thyroid stimulating hormone: boosts energy and helps recovery from stressful events
- Cortisone: combats stress and unlocks energy stores
- Interferon: stimulates the immune system to protect against infections
- Prostaglandins: anti-inflammatory
- Hemoglobin: replenishes iron deficiency and anemia, a common postpartum condition
- Urokinase inhibiting factor and factor XIII: stops bleeding and enhances wound healing
- Gammaglobulin: immune booster that helps protect against postpartum infections.
(Source: The Placenta Bakery)
What are some of the benefits of taking placenta capsules?
- Increase in energy
- Helps to balance your system
- Faster, more efficient healing
- Reduced postpartum bleeding
- Increases breastmilk supply
- Prevention and treatment of postpartum depression (& other emotional imbalances)
- Hastens return of uterus to the pre-pregnancy state
- Helps with Insomnia and other sleep disorders
- Aids in restoring iron levels and decreasesanemia
- Beneficial during menopause (as it has your own natural hormones)
* See more info and scientific research on some of these benefits on our Placenta Research page.