- Doula Services -
What is a Doula?
The word "doula" comes from ancient Greek, meaning "a woman who serves." It is now used to mean a trained and experienced professional who provides physical, emotional and informational support to mothers during pregnancy, birth, and just after; or a professional who provides emotional, educational and practical support in the postpartum period. There are different kinds of doulas, with the most common being "birth" and "postpartum". (We offer services for both!) A doula does not replace the role of the father/partner (or other family members), but rather empowers them too, to be confident with the birth process and be involved as much as they would like.
Why Hire a Doula?
The benefits of having a Birth/Labor Doula accompany you through your pregnancy and birth cannot be understated. Long-term benefits of a doula-attended delivery include: improved breastfeeding, decreased postpartum depression, better mother-infant interaction and greater maternal satisfaction. Several studies have also demonstrated that the continuous emotional support, physical comfort, and encouragement of a birth doula have numerous beneficial effects, including:
- Shorter labor
- Fewer C-sections
- Reduction in forceps use
- Reduction in analgesia use
- Reduction in epidural requests
Birth Doula Services:
Assistance before and during labor and delivery | $500
- Free Initial Consultation.
- 1-3 prenatal visits. (Including a meeting with your care provider, if desired.)
- E-mail & phone support throughout your pregnancy.
- Access to my personal Lending Library. (books, movies, etc. related to pregnancy and birth)
- Birth Plan development and implementation support.
- 24-hour on call availability from 38-42 weeks for birth. (If your baby comes before 38 weeks I will still try my best to be there too!)
- Physical and emotional support during active labor and childbirth, continuing into the immediate postpartum period. (Usually 1-2 hours after the birth, or until you're settled).
- Initial breast feeding support. (Additional breastfeeding support is also available on the side or with Postpartum Doula services.)
- Discount on Belly Binding or Placenta Encapsulation services. (if desired)
- 1-2 postpartum visits. (or calls) These visits/calls are a great time to discuss your birth, see how you're doing, talk about any questions or concerns you may have, provide help if you need it
- Guaranteed back-up Doula Services.
Postpartum Doula Services:
Assistance after birth (available in hourly or packaged pricing) | $20/hour (flexible)
- Access to my personal Lending Library
- Additional breastfeeding support
- Help with family transitioning and adjusting to new roles as a parent
- Infant care education (bathing, soothing, cloth diapering, etc.), as desired
- Maternal postnatal care
- Grocery pick-up and running errands
- Preparing and making meals
- Helping with chores around the house (light cleaning, laundry, etc.)
- Support for the older siblings and/or any pets
- Helping make sure that mom can get a chance to shower or rest
* These hours may be pre-paid before the birth or paid at the time of service as postpartum needs arise. Please contact me to discuss your particular needs and to work out a time frame that works for both of our families.